Modeling Baba Yaga’s Lair no. 2

This is the final model I submitted for my environmental modeling class with Joshua Tsukamoto. Shout out to him for his instruction and guidance!


If anyone needs practice in set dressing and prop modeling, this would be the project! Through the process, I learned how to use MASH and ncloth in Maya, and got some extra practice in XGen and Arnold lighting and rendering. I’m glad Joshua pushed me to add as much props in it as my time would possibly allow. I had just planned to make as many props as possible up until a week before it was due, and then concentrate on the presentation part, like cleaning up my outliner to hand off the file, and lighting and rendering the scene. Instead, I ended up making more props (such as everything on that wall with the dried flowers and dead birds) up until a day before submission, and then spent the last day to light and render the scene.

This model is still a work in progress. If you compare it to the wonderful concept art, this scene is still missing many items. See for yourself:

I do plan to finish it some day, but for now, a break is in order (following the advice of the previous instructor, Juan Pablo Chen). Plus my computer is in shambles at the moment.  So… to be continued!


Modeling Baba Yaga’s Lair no. 1

Not really a doodle, but just wanted to announce that I’ve finally come to a stopping point with this fireplace asset. It’s the first asset I’ve done so far for a 3d model of Baba Yaga’s Lair, based on concept art by Leia Ham.


This took way longer than I expected (half a month, with work and classes and one other graphic design project I have going on right now). Also I think it’s one of the most complex assets in the scene, so hopefully the rest will be a breeze, or at least, breezier. But it was good modeling exercise. I also discovered a trick to uprezing all the stones, assuming they are copies of each other. Instead of the transfering option from a blendshape, I just deleted the history on the blendshape and everything transferred. But I’m still  trying to figure out why you should UV everything as you go along. So far, I’ve just been selecting everything in my nice organized outliner, and using roadkill. Seems to work fine for now. Long after this class, I may texture this one day, and perhaps then I’ll discover how I should have UVed.

All that junk around the fireplace will be modeled as separate assets, and then they will be assembled all together in one big giant happy scene! Here is the link to see the rest of the concept art by Leia Ham.